Student Council discusses Senior Soiree, Sophomore Day

On Sunday, Oct. 10, Student Council met to discuss updates on several on-campus events, including Senior Soiree and Sophomore Day, a new event sponsored by the Office of the Registrar to provide further guidance for sophomores who are at the crossroads of their college career.

Senior Class President Grant Holt ’22 announced that the Senior Soiree will take place on Nov. 12, and said that two bands, a DJ and a photographer have signed contracts for the event. Holt also noted that supply orders for the event will be placed soon. “It’s happening. It’s gonna be awesome,” he said.  

Sophomore Class President Luke Kim ’24 provided updates on Sophomore Day, which will  happen on Oct. 19 at Chalmers Library, and asked for ten volunteers who will be expected to work from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for event setup, greeting and cleaning. Additionally, Kim mentioned there will be four new members joining the Sophomore Class Committee. 

First-Year Class President Caroline Tanner ’25 reported progress in collecting name suggestions from first years for their class tree. Voting took place from Tuesday through Wednesday night. The winning name will be announced on Founders’ Day, when the tree is planted.

Safety and Wellness Committee Chair Skyler Lesser-Roy ’22 reported great progress on mask distribution from last week and noted that she will leave the remaining masks out at Peirce Dining Hall for students to take, while adding that students should only take one box. “There’s only enough for the students on campus, and it’s just kind of not nice to take another one,” she said. 

Housing and Dining Committee Chair Ever Croffoot-Suede ’23 followed up with student reports of raw chicken at Peirce. “Those reports were investigated by AVI, and they were found to have not necessarily been raw by their estimates,” Croffoot-Suede said. She also encouraged students to bring the problematic food directly to the chef instead of taking photos. Student Council’s administrative advisor and Dean of Campus Life Laura Kane reported that AVI is currently down 20 staff members, which means that most employees are working seven days a week. Due to the staffing shortage, the grab-and-go option at Gund Commons that was planned to start up this month was put on further hold. 

Additionally, Social Board Representative Brett Bearrows ’23 talked about upcoming Social Board events, including an off-campus trip to a Columbus Crew soccer game on Wednesday, Oct. 27. “We have 100 tickets for students,” said Bearrows, who explained that students have to sign up for a free ticket lottery. 

Finally, Student Council President Micah Smith ’22 announced that they will begin holding office hours online on Tuesdays and at Peirce in the Alumni Dining Room on Thursdays, from 4 to 6 p.m. 

“I have realized that there is a gap in communication between Student Council and the general student body, and I want to start making myself available for discussion,” Smith wrote in an email to the student body announcing these office hours. “This will (hopefully) minimize misinformation and allow me to direct your questions, comments, and concerns to the appropriate people across the College and/or take direct action via Student Council.”

The next Student Council meeting will be held Sunday, Oct. 17 at 7:00 p.m.