Office of the Registrar hosts Sophomore Day in Chalmers

On Tuesday, Oct. 19, the Office of the Registrar hosted Sophomore Day, an annual event for sophomore students to learn more about different departments and services at Kenyon, which can assist in academic planning. 

Sophomore Class President Luke Kim ’24 said that the College created Sophomore Day as an attempt to fill the gap of class-specific events for sophomore students. 

“The Registrar’s Office thought that it was kind of unfair, I guess, that the sophomores didn’t have like any real social events — because we’re kind of in a weird position between being upperclassmen and being first years — so they decided they wanted to create a day specifically for us,” he said.

Decatur elaborated that the event is also intended to help sophomores plan for upcoming deadlines, such as declaring a major. 

This year’s Sophomore Day took place in Chalmers Library. Academic departments and various student support services set up tables in the Carver Reading Room, and students travelled from table to table, asking questions and learning about academic offerings while mingling with faculty and staff. 

Student Systems Coordinator Jessica Landon said that approximately 100 students attended the event, adding that the number of sophomores who participate has grown each year. From her perspective, the program was a success. 

“We are still adjusting to a new space and [are] happy to have the event in the new Chalmers Library,” she said. “I’m glad to be back in person and host an event where students can gather information from multiple departments and offices.”

Kim said that the event was particularly important this year because of the unusual first year his class had. All of the class’s Orientation events were online, Kim explained, which prevented any personal connection and led to lower engagement. 

“This is a chance to make it up,” Kim said. “It’s not completely going to make up the week of activities that we did for Orientation, but it’s so nice because it helps us become more grounded within the Kenyon community.”

Jill Noorily ’24, who attended the event, shared this sentiment. 

“It was quite nice to have all these resources in one space and dedicated to our grade, because in the past year it has been quite easy to feel like those resources didn’t exist. It was nice to see that the school recognized that,” Noorily said.