Student Council discusses search for quarantine housing

On Sunday, Sept. 19, Student Council met to discuss current issues and goals regarding COVID-19, student life and housing and dining.

While COVID-19 cases have rapidly decreased on campus in the past week, Kenyon is also looking into finding hotels for infected students to stay in while they isolate. However, this has not been a successful endeavor so far, according to Chair of the Health and Safety Committee Skyler Lesser-Roy ’22, who said that Kenyon has reached out to several hotels across Knox County and have not yet found one that would accommodate its needs. 

Additionally, Kenyon’s Student Life Committee has begun reviewing applications for new student organizations, and noted that it is important for these applications to be completed and turned in if students are looking to start their own club for the next academic year. The Committee also mentioned that Kenyon updated its website with new descriptions for student organizations. Club leaders are encouraged to check the description of their organization to ensure they are satisfied with how their club is described, especially considering that prospective students utilize the website to discover the different extracurricular opportunities available. 

The Council also emphasized that first-year students should be aware that the application for Campus Senate positions was sent to their emails and is due by Tuesday, Sept. 28. The Campus Senate advises the President on significant campus issues, and also fosters community discussion. In previous years, the Senate has studied student work, as well as crafted an Accessibility Statement and Protest Policy. The students elected will also have the opportunity to be a part of the First-Year Class Committee. 

Finally, the Housing and Dining Committee reported its goals to increase the number of vegan meals offered this year in the vegetarian station Peirce Dining Hall. 

The next Student Council meeting will be held on Sunday, Sept. 26 at 7 p.m.