Chalmers Library rolls out new study room reservation system

Students can reserve these study rooms for four hours up to two weeks in advance. | SARA HALEBLIAN

Kenyon’s Library and Information Services (LBIS) recently unveiled a new reservation system for collaboration spaces in Chalmers Library that allows students to book private rooms up to two weeks in advance. 

Chalmers boasts a wide variety of different study spaces for students to take advantage of. The big reading rooms offer a brighter, more communal setting for studying, while the basement levels are designed for individual use. The most coveted spaces, however, are the group study rooms, which are now open for reservation. There are spaces available on floors 1 through 4 for the purpose of group study in a more private setting. 

These group study spaces are designed for collaboration and innovation between two or more people. They are complete with a whiteboard, and in some cases a flat-screen monitor for projection. 

Students can access the reservation system via the Kenyon website and the tablets mounted outside of the study rooms. People may select an open room at their desired time frame for up to four hours a day. The larger rooms — with 16-person capacities — require approval to reserve, while the smaller rooms can be reserved from the website or by walk-up, if availability permits. Once the reservation is submitted, the reserver’s name will appear on the screen outside the room.

While reserving a study room is a quick process, Associate Vice President for Libraries and Strategic Innovation Amy Badertscher asked students to be mindful of others’ need for the rooms as well. “Be courteous and sensitive to the fact that these rooms are in high demand,” Badertscher wrote in a Student-Info email announcing the new reservation system. 

Room reservations have also created ample opportunity for stress-induced hostility. It can be difficult to find an open time to book the near-constantly occupied rooms, and sometimes the turnover of the room from one reservation to the next can be awkward. 

“I got [a room] once and my name was on the screen but I still could not get in,” Karina Morey ’25 said.

There is also the issue of volume control within the rooms. “Please keep discussions quiet- the walls are not soundproof,” Badertscher said. 

Perhaps the most important policy is that spaces not claimed within 15 minutes of a reservation will be offered to another group, so it is important for students to be punctual.