Village Council convenes to approve pavement resurfacing

The Gambier Village Council convened on April 5 for its monthly meeting, in which the Council approved a $185,725 contract with Small’s Asphalt Paving Company to resurface the town’s streets. The Gambier-based paving company was the only bidder to deliver a proposal for the resurfacing of Meadow Lane, Brooklyn Street, parts of Kokosing Drive and the parking lot at the village park.

The Council also approved a resolution to take part in the Ohio Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) sale of road salt for next winter. In accordance with the resolution, the Village will purchase the road salt at the same unit price as the ODOT.

Later in the meeting, Kenyon Vice President for Facilities, Planning and Sustainability Ian Smith reported on the College’s recent pandemic guidelines and activity, announcing the extension of the quiet period and weekly testing for the entire student body. Smith also mentioned that the College will host an on-campus vaccine clinic for students on April 8 at the Lowry Center, following Gov. Mike DeWine’s approval for vaccine distribution at colleges and universities. Smith also elaborated on the College’s plans for an in-person graduation, clarifying that it would be a limited, socially distanced ceremony on May 21.

The Council also scheduled “Stick It to the Village Days” — an annual event where Village residents can leave small branches and brush out on the curb for collection — for April 12 and April 27. In addition, “Dumpster Day” was scheduled for May 1, during which Village residents will be able to dispose of bulky items too large for weekly trash collection.

Monday’s meeting was the last for Village Council Fiscal Officer Kathi Schonauer, who plans to retire on April 30 after serving in her position for 25 years.

“The way you have literally enriched this community cannot be understated, so thank you,” Mayor Leeman Kessler said to Schonauer.

The Council appointed Diane Steinmetz to replace Schonauer as fiscal officer, and she started her position last Monday.

The Village Council will meet again on May 3. Those interested in attending can find a Zoom meeting link on the Village website.