Meghan Mason departs after six years at CGE

After nearly six years in her role as associate director of the Center for Global Engagement (CGE), Meghan Mason will leave Kenyon on March 25 to join the Center for Global Programs at Denison University, where she will take on a similar position. 

During her time in the CGE, Mason worked with well over 1,000 students on their off-campus study applications. She also served many leadership roles on campus, including on Staff Council, Senate and the College’s Benefits Committee. 

Mason said that one of her favorite moments while at Kenyon was helping to rewrite the College’s mission statement. Altogether, she said the work in the CGE and on campus was rewarding, but also presented some obstacles. “At times, certainly, it’s been challenging being an international educator, and a pandemic has certainly thrown some curveballs my direction,” Mason said. 

The news of Mason’s departure comes in a period of transition for the administration, as the College grapples with the imminent departure of Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Harper Bonham ’92. Additionally, the pandemic has impacted off-campus study, causing all abroad programs to be cancelled this year. Though the CGE plans to resume study abroad during the 2021-22 academic year, it is uncertain what the future might hold.

Mason said that helping students achieve their study abroad goals has been the highlight of her work. “Being able to work with students who weren’t sure that they were going to be able to make [studying off-campus] happen because it is such a big commitment, and then being able to see them work through those barriers and be able to [succeed] has been one of the most meaningful parts for me,” she said. 

While she will miss her connections with the campus community, Mason said she is excited for her new role. In addition to focusing on international students and off-campus study, much like her role at Kenyon, Mason said in her new role she will also center her attention on students who are typically underrepresented in off-campus study, as well as assisting with scholarship and fellowship applications.