Final week of classes to follow shortened, shifted schedule

ALEX GILKEY

The final week of classes will operate on a revised schedule: Because of class scheduling issues, Monday, Dec. 7 through Wednesday, Dec. 9 will be treated as Wednesday through Friday. In this adjusted week, typical Wednesday classes will meet on Monday, Thursday classes will meet on Tuesday and Friday classes will meet on Wednesday, according to a Student-Info email sent by Associate Provost Drew Kerkhoff on Aug. 31. 

Calling the switch a “calendar conundrum,” Kerkhoff explained in his email that the reason for this change has to do with various revisions made to the 2020-2021 academic calendar as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“With students leaving campus after classes on Tuesday, November 24th, the resumption of classes on Monday, November 30th, and the conclusion of classes on Wednesday, December 9th, we have created a fundamental imbalance in the number of class sessions on different days of the week,” he wrote in the email. This means that rather than 14 weeks of instruction across the board, Monday and Tuesday classes would meet for 15 weeks, Wednesday classes for 14 weeks and Thursday and Friday classes for 13 weeks, according to Kerkhoff.   

The switch in schedule, which Kerkhoff called a “seemingly silly, but useful little imagination game,” allows for each class to have a full 14 weeks of instruction. 

“I think it’s kind of like Kenyon’s equivalent of ending the semester with backwards pajamas day or something,” President Sean Decatur said about the revised schedule. “We will scramble the schedule around a little bit, just to make it fun and exciting at the end of the semester.”

The last day of classes is Wednesday, Dec. 9, and Thursday and Friday of next week will be remote reading days. Final exams will take place from Saturday, Dec. 12, through Friday, Dec. 18. 

Those with questions regarding the change in schedule should contact Drew Kerkhoff at kerkhoffa@kenyon.edu.