Peirce reopens servery, introduces late-night options

Peirce Hall now serves pizza in to-go boxes. | SARA HALEBLIAN

Peirce Dining Hall reopened its servery to students on Sept. 20. This is a change from the grab-and-go system used at the beginning of the semester, where students chose between pre-packaged meal options. 

While students are still able to return to the servery multiple times throughout their meals, they are asked to enter only from the atrium doors so that staff can ensure the space remains at a safe capacity. 

Peirce’s hours have also been adjusted to resume their normal operating schedule. “We had originally made the change in hours to handle 1,800 socially distanced students, but since we are only around 900 we are making the adjustment,” Christopher Wisbey, resident director of AVI, said in a Student-Info email on Sept. 21. 

Upon entry to the servery, each student is given a to-go box, which AVI employees at each hot food station — fusion, comfort, vegetarian and international — fill according to request. This allows students more choice in their meals than the previous grab-and-go system.

“Now you have the old choices that you had previously, so you can choose what you want,” said Housing and Dining Chairperson Ever Croffoot-Suede ’23. At each station, students slide their box under the glass to the AVI employee and say what foods they would like placed into their box. The salad bar has also been reopened. Sandwiches, pizzas and desserts are all pre-packaged and available at their usual stations. The coffee station is still open for self-service, and other drinks are available pre-packaged from a refrigerator.

In both Thomas Hall and the Great Hall, proper COVID-19 precautions are still in place: Tables are spread out with a limited number of chairs, and plexiglass separates students.

Regular late-night dining is another new addition to Peirce, allowing students to access the servery from 8:30-11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday. This expands dining options for students following the closure of Peirce Pub in the fall of 2018. “Late-night [dining] was proposed very early in the summer with the idea of spreading out Peircehours to limit bottleneck,” said Croffoot-Suede. She noted that this change has been successful thus far. “Students seem to be really loving it. I think we’re averaging 300-ish students at night, depending on the meal,” she said.

Students with questions, comments or concerns regarding Peirce dining should reach out to Ever Croffoot-Suede ’23 at housinganddining@kenyon.edu.