SRPA will drive students to medical appointments located off campus

In the coming weeks, the Sexual Respect Peer Alliance (SRPA) will begin to coordinate student rides to medical appointments in Columbus, Mount Vernon and other surrounding areas.

SRPA Supporters Vahni Kurra ’20, John Scandale ’20, Chloe Hall ’20 and Kayleigh McCoy ’21 are organizing the program. “We had been talking for a while about doing a ride-sharing program specifically for therapy appointments, but also for hormone replacement therapy appointments and things of that nature,” Kurra said. “It felt like there was an even greater urgency after [Send Silence Packing] because a lot of people were talking about how little professional support and therapy is available at Kenyon.”

Students who need rides will be able to submit a Google form to provide SRPA with the time and location of their appointments. The form will allow students to indicate their preferences for the ride, including the background of their driver, preferences for casual conversation or silence, and other accommodations.

Currently, SRPA has eight student drivers, who will each undergo a brief training about driver etiquette and ensuring rider comfort. The form will open for students once this training is complete.

“We really want to roll the program out as soon as possible,” Kurra said. “We’re encouraging people to find resources locally because they do exist and making sure they’re not suffering silently.”

Because SRPA is an independent student resource,  not an organization registered through the Office of Student Engagement, they cannot send Student-Info or All-Student emails. This difficulty has limited SRPA’s ability to recruit more drivers or promote the program, leading them to rely instead upon social media and word of mouth.

Individuals interested in driving or receiving rides should email sexualrespectpeeralliance@gmail.com or message @srpagambier on their preferred social media platform.