College publishes annual Clery Act crime report on security, fire safety

On Tuesday, Oct. 1, Kenyon released statistics on crimes reported on campus in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 calendar years.

The 1990 Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) makes this annual security and fire safety report mandatory for all colleges receiving federal funds, which includes Kenyon. Each report includes statistics from the last calendar year and the two years prior.

According to the Office of Communications, the purpose of the report is to encompass information “regarding campus crime and efforts to improve campus safety, including information about emergency notification, the crime-reporting process and support programs for survivors.”

Most offenses remain rare: there have been zero cases of arson, robbery, aggravated assault, weapon arrests, domestic violence, incest, statutory rape or manslaughter reported in the past three years. Burglary has decreased steadily, with only two cases in 2018, down from four cases in 2016. Reports of rape have almost halved, from 20 in 2016 to 11 in 2018.

However, arrests related to drugs and alcohol have risen. In 2018, there were 68 drug referrals made, in which legal violations prompted disciplinary action against students. Three of these cases also led to arrest. Though similar referral rates were reported in 2016 and 2017, neither year included any arrests.

Alcohol-related crimes had the same trend: 119 alcohol referrals were made in 2018, an increase from 103 in 2017 but a decrease from the 151 made in 2016. However, alcohol-related arrests tripled, from four in both 2016 and 2017 to 12 in 2018.

In addition, 2018 showed increases in sexual fondling, dating violence and motor vehicle thefts. One hate crime, involving destruction of property, occurred on the basis of national origin.

Three fires occurred in 2018, more than in the previous two years combined. Two of these incidents began in dorms, both caused by student action. In McBride Hall, a plastic kettle set on a stove burner ignited flames. In Hanna Hall, fireworks shot from a student window caused alarm. The other fire began in Peirce Hall, spurred by a burnt cup placed inside a trash can.

Students, parents and visitors can access a full version of the 2018 Federal Clery Report on the Campus Safety website.