Christina Easton, operator of library crane, passes away at 32

On Tuesday, West Quad project crane operator Christina Easton, 32, passed away. At the time of her death, Easton was heavily sedated and had been breathing through a ventilator. 

Easton had been struggling with breathing issues since May. On Sept. 11 she underwent an open lung biopsy and was given a diagnosis of a rare autoimmune disorder, which progressed into an aggressive lung infection. On Sept. 14 she was transported to the James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State University, as the biopsy had left her lungs in a critical state.

On Sept. 19, Tasha Noice, a cousin to Easton, created a GoFundMe page to support Easton’s family and her four children while her husband took time off work to care for his wife.

“Crissy has always been such a hard worker and would never ask for anything,” Noice wrote on the page. “She would always put everyone else’s needs before her own.”

Easton dedicated her career to helping shape the world around us. After graduating from high school, she entered an environmental restoration program at Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio, where she spent four years in an apprenticeship, working with cranes and learning alongside construction crews.

Easton became a main crane operator after completing her apprenticeship in 2010. During her life, she worked on a number of projects, including the Children’s Hospital in Columbus, the Thompson Library at the Ohio State University and more recently the Facebook Data Center in New Albany, Ohio.        

While working on the West Quad project, Easton had been training fellow crane operator McKenzie Dood, who is midway through her own apprenticeship.

After donating to Easton’s GoFundMe, Mary Kathryn Malone, language program coordinator and assistant professor of French, commented on the page: “My son counts the cranes every day on our way into Gambier. “One …. two! The cranes are building the bi-bary”,” she wrote. “Christina’s work will be a lifelong memory for him.” 

Easton is survived by her husband Brandon Easton and her four children: Grant, Hazel, Olivia and Slayde. For those wanting to support Easton’s family, the GoFundMe page created by Noice remains open to donations.