Gaskin Avenue print shop to become mail-only facility

On Sept. 10, Fred Linger, manager of business services, announced via email several changes to print and mailing procedures that will go into effect on Sept. 16, including the full conversion of the on-campus print shop to a mail-only facility by Oct. 1.

Due to an increase in students receiving packages and a decrease in printing requests beyond the capabilities of on-campus printers, the College will be converting the print shop located at 106B Gaskin Avenue into a dedicated student package and mail center. This center will be located next to the laundry room under the covered parking area behind the Bookstore.

With the elimination of a print shop on campus, employees and students in need of specialty printing will have to turn to the Staples in Mount Vernon, but they will be able to place their orders online and will have the option to have their print jobs delivered to the school.

In addition to the elimination of the on-campus print shop, Linger announced several operational adjustments in terms of mail delivery. All departmental mail will be made available at the mail center at 106B Gaskin Avenue, but it will also be delivered to administrative and academic buildings once per week, with the exception of library and overnight mail, which will be delivered daily. For urgent outgoing mail, faculty and staff can use the Gambier Post Office and pay for postage using their “P-card,” a credit card designated for Kenyon-approved purchases.

Some of the changes will directly impact how students receive mail. Package pickups will now only be available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. United States Postal Service (USPS) packages can be picked up from the Gambier Post Office until noon on Saturday but Sunday pickups will not be available. This is a change from the current package pickup arrangement, where students can pick up packages from the basement of the Bookstore from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends. Shifting package pickup to the former print shop behind the Bookstore frees up basement space currently being used for package distribution for its intended usage.

These changes are prompted in part by a new USPS mandate that requires all Kenyon bulk mailings to be dropped off in Mount Vernon, according to a proposal of the new changes that Linger provided to the Collegian.