Council talks on chlorine, strategic plan

On Sept. 3, the Village of Gambier Council gathered in the Gambier Community Center for their monthly meeting. Major topics covered were traffic issues, water system updates and a brief update in a handout on the ongoing Gambier Village Strategic Plan.

In their first order of business, the Council passed an emergency ordinance approving a contract with the Energy Cooperative for the Village’s chlorine feed system. The Village purchases water from Mount Vernon that is already chlorinated, but Gambier adds additional chlorine. The equipment is currently slated to be installed on West Brooklyn Street by Oct. 31.

“This is an emergency due to public safety,” council member Liz Forman said, defending the decision to pass an emergency ordinance as opposed to a regular one. Doing so allowed the Council to pass it this month and ensure the update would be completed before winter. The Council also approved a $5,000 payment to Kenyon as utility easement for the project.

Later in the meeting, Council members reported that 68 parking violation tickets hadd been issued in the previous week, mainly to students. The Council is optimistic that this aggressive ticketing method will help decrease parking issues and allow downtown businesses to run more smoothly.

Additionally, the Gambier Village Strategic Plan is continuing to move forward with a growing population. “We are going to have a meeting in September,” Mayor Kachen Kimmel said. “[It’s] a pretty significant, interesting, and important meeting because our . . . consultants are going to bring forward their creative suggestions about what kind of ideas they have over the future of living here.”  Gambier’s ability to meet the needs and house the increasing number of people trying to move to the Village are issues on the table, as well a possible merger of the College township and the Village.

The proposals that the consultants will bring to the Council draw from community input, namely over 500 survey responses received from Gambier residents over the summer. The survey asked respondents for their thoughts on current issues the Village is facing, as well as where they would like to see Gambier go in the future. In the spring of 2020, the Plan will move into a more open period where public opinions will be solicited through online engagement, events and interviews. “[The Plan] is exciting, and we’re right in the middle of working on it,” Kimmel said.