CAs now able to use Good Samaritan policy

Community Advisors (CAs) can now utilize the Good Samaritan Policy without it impacting their employment status. This is a change from years past, when CAs could be suspended from their job for using the policy.

According to the student handbook, the Good Samaritan policy grants impunity to anyone who calls Campus Safety or another College office “for assistance with an intoxicated or impaired student.” This refers both to students calling for themselves and to those who call on behalf of another person. The policy is, according to the handbook, “designed to save lives.”

CAs have expressed appreciation for the change in policy because it allows them to get help when they need it without fear of external repercussions.

“We felt that even if we were in a really dangerous situation in terms of drugs or alcohol and we felt really sick or unsafe, that we weren’t really able to use that policy, because we were so afraid of losing our jobs,” Emmie Mirus ’21, a South campus CA, said. “I think that’s one way in which the administration has really moved in the right direction in terms of this.”

In the past two years, there have only been two suspensions, each a semester long, for CAs who have invoked the policy. It is unclear whether CA usage of the policy has ever resulted in termination. While James Jackson, director of student rights and responsibilities, said no one that he knows of has ever lost their job from the policy, Mirus believes it could have contributed to loss of employment in the past, especially if a CA had already committed another infraction.

Jackson said that the policy change is a step forward in promoting the safety of students, which he regards with importance. On the other hand, Jackson noted that there have been some concerns among administrators about CAs abusing the policy.

“I think, when you’re looking at our CAs, they value their leadership roles, they take it seriously, and [like] being great role models for their floors,” Jackson said. “There are some people that are concerned about them abusing it, but I don’t think they would do that. I think they really care about how they’re seen by their residents — but they’re also students and they’re also human, and you can make mistakes.”