Special elections will decide on tax proposal

On Tuesday, May 7, the Knox County Board of Elections will hold a Special Election Day. Voters who reside in the Mount Vernon City School District, which includes Gambier schools, will decide on whether to implement a proposed tax increase for public schools in the district.

The new levy proposes to replace two million dollars and the Retired Middle School Bond Issue — money set aside twenty years ago for building the new middle school that has since been paid off — with a $2.9 million tax; this would result in the same overall property tax rate. The money from the levy would be allocated to school buildings across Knox County, with the intent of improving elementary school buildings that have long needed repair.

Robert A. Oden, Jr. Professor of Biology Joan Slonczewski encourages people to come out to the polls. “Our public schools are the foundation of our community,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “We need good schools to attract faculty, and to attract new businesses to employ our community members. Think globally, act locally: For democracy, everyone needs to come out and vote.”

Gambier residents can vote at the Community Center at 115 Meadow Lane. The polling place will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7.