Kenyon community mourns loss of first-year student Stella Simic, 18

On Tuesday evening, Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Harper Bonham ’92 sent out an email informing students of the passing of Stella Simic ’22.

Simic, 18, was from Brooklyn, New York. She was an alum of Hunter College High School and New Explorations into Science, Technology and Math (NEST+m).

Well-known on campus, Simic had friends across all four class years. She contributed to the campus in more ways than one, working for LBIS/Helpline and the Office of Student Engagement.

A poet and mixed-media artist who studied Japanese, Simic was intensely creative. Her involvement in a variety of groups on campus, including the Horn Gallery and Lighthouse, reflected that. 

“She had a lot of really cool ideas and the boldness and passion to make them happen as a freshman,” Dora Segall ’20, a friend of Simic, wrote in a message to the Collegian.

“She was an incredibly unique and thoughtful person and never did anything that she didn’t believe was true to who she was or wanted to be.”

Simic’s absence will be felt in all corners of the campus.

“I’ve had a chance to talk to a few first-year students and I think this is going to be tough for the community, but I think that there is support to make sure we all get through it,” President Sean Decatur said.

Students in need of grief counseling can consult the Health and Counseling Center, reach out the College chaplains or contact Peer Counselors. In cases of emergency, they can call Campus Safety (740-427-5555) and asked to be connected to ProtoCall, a confidential telephone counseling service available 24/7.