David Lynn, editor of Review, to step down

David Lynn will step down from his position as editor of the Kenyon Review in the spring of 2020. A search for his successor is underway.

Following 26 years of service at the literary journal, Editor of the Kenyon Review and Professor of English David Lynn ’76 P’14 will step down from his position at the Review next spring. 

Lynn has been editor of the Review since he replaced internationally acclaimed poet Marylin Hacker in April 1994, making his tenure the longest in the history of the Review.

“This is clearly an end of an era for the Kenyon Review,” President Sean Decatur said. “David has done a remarkable job, not only, in many ways, rescuing the Kenyon Review when he first arrived, but also making it phenomenally successful.”

During Lynn’s time as editor, the Review has flourished. The creation of a Kenyon Review Board of Trustees and a “renewed commitment” by the College to the literary journal’s financial health have substantially increased the journal’s stability.

Lynn has also overseen the expansion of the Review’s summer programs — including its Young Writers Workshop — and digital offerings such as KROnline.

The College and the Board of Trustees have selected management consultant firm Korn Ferry to conduct a search for Lynn’s successor. Consultants from the firm will be on campus during the next two weeks, interviewing stakeholders and conducting phone interviews.

In June, the Review will report their progress to the Board of Trustees and over the summer they will create the job description that applicants will see in the fall.

“I believe the current tentative timeline is to open the job application process in the fall and to interview candidates in the late fall or winter,” Managing Editor of the Review Abigail Serfass said.

After Lynn steps down in spring 2020, he will report to President Decatur with a new set of responsibilities.

“We’ve already been in conversations on some ideas about other initiatives involving writing and literature for the College,” Decatur said. “He’s stepping down from editing the Review, but [I’m] glad that he will continue to be around and about on campus and in the community.”