Updated contract means new washers, dryers

After eight years with the current washers and dryers, the College is set to have new machines installed over the summer.

“We felt like … if we were going to renew the contract we should have new equipment,” Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman wrote in an email to the Collegian. The washers and dryers below the Kenyon Bookstore have already been replaced and the rest will be exchanged over the summer.

While Kohlman and Student Council debated changing the payment system from the one that is currently in place, the College ultimately decided to stay with the current K-Card system. The company that provides the washers and dryers, CSC Serviceworks, could have implemented its system, which would have included the ability to pay via app, credit card or Apple Pay, according to Nathan Grosh, building and grounds committee chair on Student Council.

At its April 14 meeting, Student Council discussed the specifics of each system. The current CBORD system will need to be replaced anyway, and it is expensive to do so: The estimated cost for updating the CBORD system is approximately $40,000.

While implementing the system provided by CSC would be free of charge, it would not have taken K-Card and would have been a disruption for students who currently rely on money loaded onto K-Cards to pay for their laundry.

Though Grosh was in favor of implementing the CSC system throughout campus, Kohlman ultimately opted to stay with the current K-Card system.