Section: News

Overheated electrical coil causes small fire in McBride

On Feb. 17 at around 5:50 p.m., a small fire started on the first floor of McBride Residence Hall. According to Director of Campus Safety Bob Hooper, the fire was caused by an overheated electrical coil, which created smoke that set off the fire alarm.

All residents in McBride evacuated the building as though it were a regular fire drill, but the residents did not know what was happening at the time.

“Campus Safety arrived quickly on the scene and handled the situation,” Jenny Tie ’21, a community advisor in McBride, said. The fire was put out within a half hour.

After the residents were allowed back in, power flickered on and off in the building for around 30 minutes as the maintenance staff worked on fixing the breaker.

0 Comments

Comments for this article have closed. If you'd like to send a letter to the editor for publication, please email us at collegian@kenyon.edu.