Director of Campus Safety, Bob Hooper, to retire in Sept.

After working at Kenyon for nearly 27 years, Director of Campus Safety Bob Hooper has announced that he will be retiring on Sept. 1, 2019.

“It is with mixed emotions that I share Bob Hooper’s decision to retire from Kenyon,” Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Harper Bonham ’92 wrote in an email to the Kenyon community. “[He] has devoted his career to keeping our community safe. Whatever task is necessary, be it attending to students in need of medical assistance, coordinating event logistics, or even directing traffic, Bob accomplishes it with care and professionalism.”

Hooper had also served as chief at the College Township Fire Department for 23 years, Rosse Hall manager and assistant director of Campus Safety before assuming the director role in 2007.

Hooper noted that he has enjoyed working at Kenyon and the Gambier community throughout the years.

“He’s been great to work with and for. He’ll definitely be missed,” Campus Safety Investigator and Clery Coordinator Holly Bleam said. “I know that he cares a lot about Kenyon and has put a lifetime into working here.”

In the coming weeks, the College will launch a national external search for a new director, who is expected to start by July 1. Internal candidates are also welcome to apply.  Hooper will work with the new director in July and August to ease the transition. 

A retirement reception for Hooper will also take place later this year.