College to put traffic barriers in locations across campus

Traffic barriers near the North Campus Apartments (NCAs), erected over winter break,  have been removed. These barriers blocked off Lepley Lane, the road most easily accessible to the NCAs, in an effort to reduce the number of students driving vehicles onto the grass surrounding the apartments. While the NCAs are currently accessible by vehicle, the Kenyon grounds staff intends to replace the barriers with new ones of a permanent, more effective style, according to Steve Vaden, director of facility operations.

“The College has allowed vehicles to access the area during move-in and move-out, but it was not designed for year-round access for student vehicles,” Vaden wrote in an email to the Collegian. “The current amount of traffic has left the area rutted and muddy, which is not how we wish our grounds to look.”

In the past, Lepley Lane has been used by car-owning NCA residents, many of whom park their vehicles on the grass to reduce walking distance to and from the buildings. Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman suggested that this was never the school’s intent.

“The only reason there are street signs that have names is because the county Emergency Medical Services said we have to find a way to give addresses to every one of those buildings,” Kohlman said. “[It’s] so that if someone’s called in for an emergency, they would know where to go. They’re still not really roads — they’re walking paths, not driving paths.”

Though the NCA barriers have temporarily been removed, Maintenance plans to put up permanent barriers there and elsewhere on campus. “We’re going to put up several more to keep vehicles off places on campus where they’re not supposed to be,” Kohlman said.