AVI employee hit in Friday night incident outside Peirce

On Friday night, a student driving a motor vehicle hit an AVI employee in front of Peirce Hall.

At the time of the incident, there was poor lighting and rainy weather, which members of the administration suggest could have played a role.

The Office of Campus Safety received a call about the incident at 9:09 p.m. Safety officers arrived on the scene at 9:12 p.m. and began an initial assessment of the accident until the College Township Fire Department arrived on the scene shortly thereafter, according to an email to the Collegian from Bob Hooper, director of Campus Safety. The Knox County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) arrived on the scene at 9:17 p.m.

Hooper wrote that the vehicle involved in the accident exited the north Peirce lot, turned south and hit the AVI employee with its front left quarter panel in front of Peirce Hall.

The incident report filed by KCSO corroborates what Campus Safety reported, adding that the vehicle struck the AVI employee on their right side, and that they were not crossing the road on a designated crosswalk.

The AVI employee was then transported to the hospital.

Hooper wrote that weather could have factored into the accident. Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman also said weather could have been a factor, saying it was dark and rainy.

The incident report confirms that the road was wet, the weather conditions were rainy and the lighting was dark, as the roadway lacked streetlamps. Kohlman said he is assessing the area to determine if it is necessary to install additional lighting.

Kohlman added the caveat that he had not yet had a chance to speak with Resident Director of AVI Chris Wisbey about the AVI employee’s condition, nor had he made any contact with the driver of the vehicle.

Wisbey said that the incident was under investigation by both the College and law enforcement and that he could not comment.