Kenyon releases latest Clery Act-mandated crime statistics

On Monday, Oct. 1, Kenyon published a safety report as mandated by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act). The report contains statistics on crimes committed on campus each year from 2015 to 2017.

Crime on Kenyon’s campus has stayed fairly consistent over the past several years, according to Campus Safety Investigator and Clery Coordinator Holly Beam.

There were between three and four burglaries with an additional average of one motor vehicle theft per year in the past three years, according to the report.

The most common crimes at Kenyon pertain to illegal substance possession or consumption, with over 100 alcohol-related referrals each year, 18 of which led to arrests.

Although the numbers seem fairly constant over the past three years (128 cases in 2015, 155, and 107 in 2016 and 2017 respectively), Bleam said, “Alcohol usage has gone significantly down.” This is due to a shift in policy that has led to increased reporting despite the decrease in alcohol usage, according to Bleam.

Additionally, between 45 and 75 Kenyon students were referred each year for drug related crimes.

In 2015, there were two instances of stalking, as well as three cases of fondling, four of dating violence and seven on-campus rapes.

In 2016, the number of stalking cases remained constant, while fondling and dating violence cases fell to one each. In that year, there were twenty rape cases, nearly three times as many as the previous year.

In 2017, there was one instance of stalking, four of fondling, three of dating violence and 17 of rape. Though the occurrence of these crimes is troubling, Bleam sees a positive side to the high numbers on the report: that students feel safe to come forward, and that the College is not hiding any instances from the public.

In 2016, there was one hate crime, that is, a crime defined as the intimidation of an individual singled out due to the perpetrator’s biases.

There were two fires over the past three years, both taking place in 2017. One, outside of Gund Commons, was caused by burnt paper and ash left on a wooden surface, while the other was ignited when students launched fireworks from inside Hanna Residence Hall.

The report included a number of safety-related policies and statistics, and a list of definitions and statistics relating to on-campus crime. These statistics are intended to allow Kenyon students, their families and prospective community members to know the types and frequency of various crimes that are committed on campus.

The Clery Act is a piece of legislation that ensures that colleges are transparent about their crime policies and the statistics of crimes committed.