Village Council covers Hopkins’ resignation, construction

Devon Musgrave-Johnson

The Sept. 4 Gambier Village Council meeting covered a great deal of planned projects, moving quickly through its itinerary in the wake of Village Administrator Suzanne Hopkins’ resignation last month.

After it was revealed that she was being investigated by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Hopkins was asked to resign by the Village.

The Village of Gambier also undertook an investigation, according to a press release from Aug. 22.

During the meeting, the Village Council voted to retroactively authorize a contract made by Mayor Kachen Kimmell with McGhee’s Technical Water Services, Inc. to provide the Operator of Record service that Suzanne Hopkins once filled.

David Martin has been serving as the interim village administrator since Aug. 22. He had previously served in the same role in Sunbury, Ohio. Alongside Martin, the Village hired CT Consultants, a Columbus consulting firm.

The Village Administrator is important because they are Gambier’s connection to the Knox County Sheriff’s Office. They have a say in which deputy works in Gambier, and what their hours will be.

Although less urgent, future plans for the construction on Gaskin Avenue were also discussed in depth. 

No conclusion was reached during the meeting, despite the fact that the direction of the conversation hinted heavily at a continuation of Gaskin’s one-lane policy and expanded angled parking on both parallel streets.

Both will most likely become or continue to be one- way for the duration of village construction.

While the planned Tree Removal Ordinance was on the Council Business Agenda, it was tabled almost immediately, as it “[did not] have a redraft to incorporate the discussion at the previous meeting” and the solicitor wished to continue working on it. 

When this decision was announced, the three audience members in attendance quietly left.

Tommy Johnson contributed reporting to this story.