Sendoff artists announced

Whitney, a seven-member indie rock band, will headline Summer Sendoff this year, Social Board announced on March 29. Seeb, a Norwegian EDM trio, will serve as the opening act on April 27.

Whitney is a change of pace from the Sendoff headliners of past years, who were mostly rappers. Social Board declined to comment on how much Whitney will be paid for their performance, citing a contractual obligation. Last year, the Budget and Finance Committee allocated $84,000 to Social Board to cover their contributions to Sendoff.

The Chicago-based band was created in 2015 and released their first single “No Matter Where We Go” in June of that year. A year later, they produced “Light Upon A Lake,” their first and only album to date. Paul Lester, a contributor to the Guardian, described the up-and-coming music group as “think Bon Iver, with elements of folk and country, only given a Chicago soul makeover,” in Feb. of 2010. 

Seeb formed in 2015. The trio is most famous for their electronic remixes of popular songs, such as Mike Posner’s smash-hit “I Took a Pill in Ibiza.” The trio is comprised of original members Simen Eriksrud and Espen Berg, as well as Niklas Strandbraten, who joined the group in 2016.  The group is also scheduled to release their new single “Nice to Meet You” on April 20, meaning that Kenyon students will be among the first to witness a live performance of their new song.

Whitney represents a change in musical genre from the musical artists selected for past Sendoffs.

Last April, rapper Earl Sweatshirt was selected as the featured artist for Sendoff in 2017 before backing out a day before his scheduled performance, citing illness. In 2016, Chiddy Bang, a hip hop artist, performed. He was preceded in 2015 by rappers Danny Brown and Logic.

Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman confirmed in an email to the Collegian that Sendoff will be moved over slightly this year and will be held primarily on the southern portion of the lawn, close to Ascension Hall.

Sendoff has typically been held on the lawn between Peirce and Rosse Halls, with the stage being set up on the northern portion of the lawn facing Rosse.

With the in-progress temporary study spaces occupying that northern portion, some students expressed concern about where Sendoff would be held instead.