Student organizations to move from Peirce Hall next semester

With the construction of the new library beginning this summer, student organizations such as Social Board, the Collegian and Student Council, which have offices in Peirce Dining Hall, will have to relocate.

WKCO, Student Council, Social Board, the Collegian and a student engagement resource room currently occupy these offices. These organizations will move out during the summer, and the Writing Center and Student Accessibility and Support Services — spaces that are currently in Olin and Chalmers Memorial Library — are set to move into these spaces, according to Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman. The student organizations were notified of the move on Dec. 1 via email.

The affected organizations will be given materials to box their items toward the end of the semester. “As long as all the items are packaged up, before everyone leaves for the summer, then over time, it will be taken to the destinations in the interim spaces,” Laura Kane, director of student engagement and assistant dean of students, said.

WKCO uses two spaces in the third floor of Peirce, but will not move until its renovated location in Farr Hall is ready in the fall semester. “WKCO is the one that has been impacted with having to move twice now, so that is the one we are trying to be cognizant of how to not disrupt operations,” Associate Director of Student Engagement Kim Wallace said.

Instead of having offices, Student Council and Social Board will be given storage spaces. After talking to students and considering how frequently students used the office, Wallace said they decided that storage spaces would be more appropriate for these organizations.  “That decision was largely made based on card-swipe data,” Wallace said. The designated space will have lockable storage units and be available to use after hours. 

The room the Office of Student Engagement uses to store resources for student organizations does not have a finalized destination. Kohlman said it could move to Gund Commons. He also said that the Collegian will be on the first floor of Allen House.

Wallace said she has not heard any students express concerns about changing locations. “We collaborate with [student organizations] to ensure that everyone can still function and still have a space as best as they can, knowing that with the library construction project, there is a crunch on space for a period of time until the Village spaces are finished,” Wallace said.