Renovated Kenyon Bookstore opens

Renovated Kenyon Bookstore opens

The College hosted a grand opening for the newly renovated bookstore last Thursday. A table full of Kenyon-inspired refreshments and desserts occupied the back of the new space, serving those who attended the ceremony.

“We’re happy and we’re glad at this amazing turnout,” Bookstore Manager Angus MacDonell said. “I appreciate the support of the community and students for us and we hope to earn that respect.”

President Sean Decatur and MacDonell gave remarks before Decatur cut the ribbon. Decatur spoke about the bookstore’s history, saying that it is the longest continuously operating college bookstore in the country. During the ceremony, Decatur joked about how this was the fifth time the bookstore had changed locations during its time as a campus building.

“It is a store that has been always around this neighborhood,” Decatur said.

Both Decatur and MacDonell thanked the bookstore staff and those involved in the project for their help during the transition. Decatur also acknowledged the importance of the bookstore as a staple in the Kenyon community.

“The bookstore’s always meant more than a place to sell books and Kenyon gear,” Decatur said. “It’s also a place where people hang out, they study, they read, they knit. It’s a community gathering place — it’s a place you can kind of count on and come in whether it is Saturday morning, Sunday morning or late at night during the week when folks are studying.”