Tuition to increase by 3.95 percent

The Board of Trustees met in Santa Monica, Calif. on Feb. 1 and 2 for their annual winter meeting. The trustees focused on approving a budget from the 2018-19 fiscal year. “There was a budget approved, and details will be going out soon this week,” President Sean Decatur said in an interview with the Collegian.

Decatur noted that, among other modifications, there was a “tuition increase of 3.95 percent.” Chair of the Board Brackett B. Denniston III ’69 said this decision was reached after considerable deliberation.

“The Board and its Budget Committee considers any tuition increase with great care. The review and approval of the budget is the central business of the winter board meeting, and the impact on tuition and fees is a critical component of our review,” Denniston wrote in an email to the Collegian.   

Along with an increase in tuition, the Board introduced a 7.3 percent expansion of the financial aid budget.

“This [decision] reflects the increasing need of our applicant pool, and of students in general. We are committed to putting a Kenyon education within the reach of top students from all economic backgrounds,” Denniston explained.