AVI considers changes

Eva Warren ’19 sent an email to the student body two weeks ago about a meeting with AVI and College officials in which she laid out a series of changes that were coming to AVI’s menu.

However, Fred Linger, manager of business services, and Chris Wisbey, resident director of AVI, who attended the meeting, said that these changes would take time, and said they would have to consult the Housing and Dining Committee first. Warren declined to comment for this article.

Linger said that he was unaware that Warren would be bringing a survey to the meeting, which she sent via Student-Info email a few days before. He said that AVI usually doesn’t talk about dining option changes without the Housing and Dining Committee, who weren’t consulted on this occasion.

“We did not know a survey was coming to that meeting. We had no idea that was happening,” Linger said. “And it’s unfortunate because I would never do a survey without either Housing and Dining and/or AVI being involved. That’s the way a survey ought to be done.”

Warren declined to comment after meeting with Vice President of Student Affairs Meredith Bonham ’92 on Wednesday.

Some of the suggestions to which Wisbey and Linger agreed were that vegetables will be cooked in ways other than steaming, and that AVI “will begin researching past Hearth recipes and look into incorporating those back into the menu cycle,” according to Warren’s email.

Linger and Wisbey said they are looking into these changes, but they may not happen right away, as the email suggests. “Some of this takes time. And also, there’s a larger student body component to be considered,” Linger said.

Wisbey said that some of Warren’s suggestions will soon be implemented. For example, Peirce Dining Hall served panko eggs on Wednesday, and they will begin to dice the chicken at the deli bar, both of which Warren said AVI would do in her email. However, both Linger and Wisbey said they would like to consult the Housing and Dining Committee before making significant changes.