Earl Sweatshirt to headline Summer Sendoff

Rapper Earl Sweatshirt and electronic duo Brasstracks will be playing at this year’s Summer Sendoff on Friday, April 28, with Sweatshirt headlining. Social Board announced the decision in an email on Friday, March 25 after posting clues in the Borden Atrium in Peirce Hall.

The Budget and Finance Committee allocated $84,000 to Social Board to cover their contributions to Sendoff, which include concert costs, novelty/entertainment costs, and maintenance/safety and security needs for the concert, Assistant Director of Student Engagement Ally Hays said.

Sweatshirt, whose real name is Thebe Neruda Kgositsile, was part of hip hop collective Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, a rap group which which featured artists such as Tyler, The Creator and Frank Ocean. Sweatshirt’s latest release, “I Don’t Like S—, I Don’t Go Outside,” was received with widespread critical acclaim.

Brasstracks is based in Brooklyn, NY and consists of Ivan Jackson on trumpet and Conor Rayne on drums. The duo worked on Chance the Rapper’s 2016 mixtape “Coloring Book” and collaborated with rappers Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz to produce their song “No Problem.”