Student wage increase tied to new state rate

Kenyon student workers will be earning slightly more per hour this semester due to an increase in the Ohio minimum wage from $8.10 to $8.15 per hour.

The increase went into effect in the State of Ohio on Jan. 1 of this year and represents an approximately 0.61 percent increase in the hourly minimum wage.

Student workers at Kenyon receive pay in three different grade levels, with one being the lowest and three the highest; the lowest pay level consists of either the federal or Ohio minimum wage, depending on which is higher. Job payment levels are generally determined by responsibilities and skills required: A level-one job may be data entry, while a level-three job may require training and management skills. Wage levels two and three were increased by the same 0.61 percent, according to Student Employment Coordinator Heidi Norris. Kenyon’s policy is that each time the Ohio or federal minimum wage increases, the other two tiers will increase by the same percentage, according to Norris. Those levels are now $9.40 per hour and $10.47 per hour, respectively. The top two levels also increase each January by the rate of inflation, according to the Job Classification Guide found on the Student Employment section of the Kenyon website.

Norris wrote that the increase will not have a negative effect on the College’s budget or any student employers because the increase had been factored into the 2016-2017 budget.