2016 Voter Guide

Senate

Ted Strickland (D)

Ted Strickland (D) was Governor of Ohio from 2007 to 2011 and previously served six terms as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio’s sixth district. He lost the governorship to current Governor John Kasich in 2010. In 2013, he was appointed by Barack Obama to be one of five alternate representatives to the U.S. delegation to the United Nations. As governor, Strickland opposed federally subsidized abstinence-only sex education programs, pushed to cut funding for school vouchers and supported job growth in the coal and energy industries. Strickland is known for working across both sides of the aisle and brokering bipartisan deals. He has said some of his priorities include overturning Citizens United, decreasing levels of student debt and defeating ISIS.

Rob Portman (R, Incumbent)

Rob Portman (R) has been an Ohio senator since 2011. He previously served in President George W. Bush’s cabinet as Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the House of Representatives from 1993 to 2005 and the White House Office of Legislative Affairs. Portman is a member of the Budget, Energy and Natural Resources; Finance and the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committees. He chairs the Subcommittee of Fiscal Responsibility and Economic Growth and the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. Previously, he served on the Deficit Reduction and Armed Services Committees.

Portman’s voting record is largely in line with the Republican Party. He voted against the Iran Nuclear Deal, the Violence Against Women Act and for a fence on the U.S.-Mexico border. Portman also voted to close sanctuary cities, which are cities that do not prosecute individuals for being undocumented. He supports marriage equality.

House of Representatives

Bob Gibbs (R, Incumbent)

Incumbent Congressman Robert (Bob) Gibbs (R) is running to represent Ohio’s Seventh District. He was elected to the 18th district (since redistricted to the Ohio Seventh) in 2010, defeating Democrat and Kenyon alumnus Zack Space ’83. In 2014, he ran unopposed for the seat. In the House, he sits on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and the Agriculture Committee.

If re-elected, Gibbs says he will prioritize “fiscal responsibility,” tax reform and development of domestic natural resources, according to his campaign website. He supports the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. In 2015, he voted against a bipartisan budget bill, according to Ballotpedia. Once passed, it suspended the debt ceiling until March 2017 and increased domestic and military spending. This year, he was endorsed by the Canton Repository, the Elyria Chronicle Telegram and the National Rifle Association. He also received the Ohio Farm Bureau Friend of Agriculture Award. He served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2003-8 and the Ohio State Senate from 2009-10.

Board of Education (one candidate)

Antoinette Miranda

Antoinette Miranda is a school psychologist and professor at The Ohio State University College of Education and Human Ecology. Over the course of her career, she has focused on education research and diversity; she designed a curriculum that prepares educators to work with diverse student populations. If elected, Miranda wants to increase transparency and accountability for public schools’ goals to make Ohio education more equitable. Miranda earned her B.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Cincinnati and now resides in Columbus. Miranda has been endorsed by the Ohio Democratic Party.

Jamie O’Leary

Jamie O’Leary is a Princeton University-educated education policy analyst at the Thomas B. Fordham Institute — an ideologically conservative education policy think tank — and former kindergarten teacher. O’Leary is open to working with current Common Core standards in Ohio and emphasizes that public schools must rise to a level of rigor that will prepare students for college and keep students out of costly remedial courses. O’Leary favors implementing better attendance reporting methods for online students to ensure taxpayers are paying for students to actually attend e-school programs. O’Leary is not affiliated with either the Democrats or Republicans, and has said she considers education a non-partisan issue.”

Jeff Furr

Jeff Furr is a patent attorney based out of Utica, Ohio. He is running primarily to eliminate Common Core, a set of federally mandated academic standards aimed to increase student performance. Furr wants to be a proponent for increased school choice and more local control,  and he wishes to take politics out of education. He believes that giving more autonomy to local boards will result in diminishing the achievement gap between children. He received his Bachelor’s degree from The Ohio State University and has an M.B.A., a J.D. and an L.L.M. from Capital University in Bexley, Ohio. He has served on the Johnstown City Council and serving as the President of the Mid-Ohio Christian Home School Association.

Adam C. Slane

Adam C. Slane is an Ohio State University-educated aide to U.S. Representative Steve Stivers of Ohio and former teacher who has received backing from the Republican Party of Ohio. His policy stances reflect a focus on restructuring schools to fit the specific needs of students (e.g., online schools should be an option for students struggling in traditional classroom environments) and crafting policy that measures student progress as a tool for guiding future decisions. Slane believes that Ohio’s Common Core standards are effective and favors more educational review that includes teachers and parents.

Nicholas Baumeyer

Nicholas Baumeyer will vote in his first statewide election this November. He also happens to be a candidate for the State School Board. The 18-year-old is a senior at Olentangy Orange High School in Lewis Center, Ohio. He will likely earn his high school diploma next spring. 

Baumeyer’s political stances and policy proposals were not available online. He has expressed several political opinions on his Twitter account, @NBaumey, such as retweeting a graphic of U.S. Code Title 18 Section 2017, which states that anyone who “willfully and unlawfully conceals… or destroys” records or documents publicly filed with a court or public office will be ineligible to hold office in the United States. The post was captioned: “Under U.S. law Hillary literally is disqualified from becoming president…”

Katy Barricklow

Katy Barricklow, a member of the Delaware Republican Central Committee who ran unsuccessfully for the Olentangy Board of Education in 2013, withdrew from consideration.

County

Mary Elizabeth Chapa (D)

Mary Elizabeth Chapa (D), who attended Mount Vernon High School and Bowling Green State University, worked as a mental health therapist after graduation, according to her campaign website. Since then, Chapa has worked for substance abuse treatment facilities, criminal justice systems and public schools. Chapa says she will prioritize community outreach and government transparency if elected as County Commissioner.

Thom Collier (R, Incumbent)

Thom Collier (R) is an incumbent on the Knox County Commission. He previously served on the Mount Vernon City Council and as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives from 2000 to 2008. As a State Representative, Collier chaired the Economic Development and Environment committee and the Economic Development and Workforce. Collier is a pro-life and a strong supporter of second amendment rights and pro-agriculture policies.

Tax Levies (descriptions are exactly as they will appear on the ballot)

Tax Levy 1

“A majority affirmative vote is necessary for passage. A replacement of a tax for the benefit of Knox County for the purpose of providing maintenance and operation of services and facilities for senior citizens at a rate not exceeding 0.79 million for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to seven and $0.079 for each 100 dollars of valuation, for five years, commencing in 2017, first due in calendar year 2018.”

Tax Levy 2

“A renewal of a tax for the benefit of College Township for the purpose of providing fire protection and emergency medical services at a rate not exceeding four million for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to $0.40 for each 100 dollars of valuation, for five years, commencing in 2017, first due in calendar year 2018.”

Where to Vote

Early voting? Mount Vernon Service Center 117 E. High Street, Room 210 Mount Vernon, Ohio

Nov. 3 & 4 8:00 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Nov. 5 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Nov. 6 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Nov. 7 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

On Election Day:

Gambier Community Center

115 Meadow Lane

Gambier, Ohio

Behind the KAC

Nov. 8 6:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Office Phone: (740) 427-2671

Gambier Community Center

115 Meadow Lane

Gambier, Ohio

Behind the KAC

Nov. 8 6:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Office Phone: (740) 427-2671