Tim Kaine to visit campus Thursday

Tim Kaine to visit campus Thursday

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Democratic nominee for vice president Tim Kaine will visit campus Thursday evening for a campaign event.

The Virginia Senator will be speaking at the Kenyon Athletic Center (KAC) at 5 p.m., doors open at 3 p.m. and reservations can be made via the Hillary Clinton campaign website here.

The focus of Kaine’s visit will be encouraging Ohio voters to take advantage of early voting, which ends on Nov. 7

“We have been campaigning very aggressively here in Ohio,” Harrell Kirstein of the Clinton Campaign said. Kirstein emphasized that Kaine will be pushing early voting in Ohio and the campaign chose Gambier for the because “we have campus organizers at Kenyon and so we have a great group of volunteers and supporters there.”

Kaine is not the first high-profile figure to visit Kenyon during an election year. In 2012, First Lady Michelle Obama spoke at the KAC. Though Kaine is the first politician to campaign at Kenyon this election season, a number of celebrities, including Lance Bass of *NSYNC and Taylor Schilling and Kate Mulgrew, stars of Orange is the New Black, came to campus to campaign for Hillary Clinton.

The Collegian will be covering Kaine’s visit on Thursday. Look for our coverage on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.