New Campus Senate representatives elected

Elections for open Campus Senate positions were held last Thursday, Oct. 20, with Benjamin Douglas ’18 elected to the position of Co-Chair and Emily Margolin ’17 elected as the senior class representative.

Campus Senate is a primary legislative body for campus government and serves as a forum for communication regarding issues related to the College, principally those dealing with extracurricular matters.

Douglas defeated Juno Fullerton ’19 and Paul Murphy ’18 to win his position. In his letter of intent, submitted prior to the election, Douglas addressed the fact Kenyon as an institution and the student body are sometimes seen to be in conflict and he hopes to use Campus Senate as a forum for student voices. It was actually Douglas, according to his letter, who worked with Student Council to re-establish Campus Senate this semester.

In addition to his new position, Douglas serves on the Buildings and Grounds Committee and is a member of the Junior Class Council. He has also worked as a Peer Counselor and leads the Partnership of East Knox and Kenyon College, a program which brings Kenyon students to volunteer in the East Knox school community. In his letter, Douglas wrote that his experience working across a variety of organizations would help him represent a diversity of student opinions as Campus Senate Co-Chair.

Margolin ran unopposed to secure her seat as Senior Class Representative. A former Junior Class Council and current Senior Class Council member, Margolin highlighted her experience planning and organizing events at Kenyon in her letter of intent. She also expressed a desire to improve communication, writing “I feel the student body needs a better understanding of how and why decisions are made to their school.”

Look for more coverage of these new representatives in our next issue on Oct. 27.

Follow these links to read the letters of intent:

Douglas: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dvm9GpQA7_ML0yI-BonMghoYkv9J1eWl2uw2oELz2Eg/edit

Margolin: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_KtZLH8HutrfqBd66eUC1FkWCGTYAMTYBsdNI50cQW0/edit