One salad, 480 wedges: Pub debuts

Serving up bite-sized snacks, classic beers and salt-rimmed margaritas, Peirce Pub made its debut this past weekend with approximately 400 customers on Friday and Saturday night.

Operated by AVI Foodsystems, the Pub hopes to provide Kenyon with an additional late-night dining option following last semester’s closing of the Gambier Grill, known colloquially as “the Cove.” AVI Director Kim Novak hopes the Pub can offer students a space to “have fun, get some food and be offered drinks in a gathering place that is centrally located,” she said.

The Pub’s menu currently features 11 food options. This opening weekend’s top-selling snack was the ever-popular mac and cheese wedges. Guests ordered 480 of the triangle-shaped treats, first served with pepper ketchup, and then with Cove-style ranch, according to Novak.

“We found out that the students really liked ranch, and we’re very flexible on that, so we changed that immediately,” Novak said.

In addition to food, the Pub sells domestic and imported beers in bottles and on draft, wine, cider, soda and alcoholic root beer. Students can also choose the weekend specialty drink on the Pub’s Facebook page. Last weekend, the Pub sold margaritas; this weekend, it will sell either electric lemonade or Long Island iced tea.

“I liked the variety of drinks available,” said Deirdre Sheridan ’17, who attended the Pub’s opening night. “I think there was a real effort to have some unique choices.”

Music will also form a key part of the Pub’s atmosphere. This past weekend, student DJs plugged their phones into the sound system or brought their own speakers.

“We’re open to music,” Novak said, adding that student bands have expressed interest in using the space. “We’re not doing the entertainment — we’re allowing the students to do it.”

“We’re here for you guys, so we want you guys to be comfortable,” AVI employee Margie Williams added.

An additional bartender will serve drinks this weekend to meet demands, as part of the Pub’s efforts to improve after some students complained about slow service. As suggested by Student Council, the Pub may also add a water cooler, further dim the lights or expand closing time from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. It may also open on Wednesdays at busy times in the future.

President Sean Decatur even said he may venture to the Pub soon. “I was tempted to drop by, but I kind of thought that’d maybe just freak people out, so I decided not to,“ he said. “Maybe on a later Friday or Saturday night I will drop by.”