New local shuttle loop

Wondering how students are going to get to their film classes at the Buckeye Candy Building? Kenyon’s answer is the Purple Line, an updated shuttle service in partnership with Knox Area Transit (KAT).

The new Purple Line will run on a set schedule and will only stop at predetermined locations in Gambier and Mount Vernon that are popular with Kenyon students, such as Kroger, Walmart and the Premiere Theatre 7 movie theater on Upper Gilchrist Road. Previously, students could travel to Mount Vernon on the KAT shuttle, and they requested their destination and approximate time of pick up.

Kenyon launched a pilot program for the Purple Line over the summer, and the new shuttle was officially announced on Aug. 26 via student- and employee-info emails sent by Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman.

The service is funded by the Business and Finance Committee and the College, which allows students to ride the shuttle for free. Community members can also ride the Purple Line for $1.

To reach additional locations not served by the Purple Line, riders can transfer to other shuttles offered by KAT. They will have to transfer back to the Purple Line to return to Gambier, according to  Kohlman.

Riders can hop on at the shuttle stop adjacent to the bookstore, or at the Kenyon Athletic Center, the Gambier Community Center or the Brown Family Environmental Center.

The Shuttle will run every hour on the hour, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.

One of the Purple Line’s main functions will be transporting students to the Buckeye Building in Mount Vernon.

The Buckeye Building is currently scheduled to open for classes next semester. It will host elements of the film department, including classroom space, editing bays and a studio.