Mac-and-cheese wedges make a comback at Peirce Pub

Prepare yourselves for the return of Gambier’s finest delicacy: mac and cheese wedges.

Peirce Pub, a new late-night food and drink establishment in the basement of Peirce Dining Hall, opens this Friday. AVI, College’s only food provider, will operate the establishment.

The Pub will return to its roots, as in decades past, the Pub functioned in a similar way. It will now serve food, soda and alcoholic beverages, including beer and several mixed drinks. Pitchers of beer will not be available, and drinks will only be served one at a time. The Pub’s hours of operation will be Fridays and Saturdays from 7:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.

AVI’s liquor license limits the Pub’s hours of operation to 1:00 a.m, Director of Student Engagement Laura Kane confirmed. The Gambier Grill, which closed in March of 2016, stayed open until 2:00 a.m.

There will be two stations for checking student identification, according to Student Council. The space is for students over 18 ,and AVI staff will check IDs at the door to see if students meet this requirement. There will be another ID check at the bar to see if students are over 21. Both K-Card and state ID will be accepted. Similar to all-campus parties, AVI employees at the Pub will mark hands at the
door to indicate if a person is over or under 21.

If an underage student is caught holding an alcoholic drink, that person will be asked to leave. Campus Safety will handle any disorderly students
or those caught with a fake ID — previously, the Knox County Sheriff’s Office handled similar incidents at the Gambier Grill.

The Pub will not deliver to residence halls or apartments on campus but take-out will be available. Dining options will include beef and veggie burgers, chicken tenders, fresh-cut curly fries and the mac and cheese wedges of Gambier Grill fame, as well as other menu options. AVI Resident Director Kim Novak confirmed that the wedges will be the same as the ones students enjoyed at the Gambier Grill.

There will be an auxiliary cord available to use for music in the Pub. Novak said live entertainment may also be a possibility in the future. 

AVI does not have plans to operate the Pub on Wednesdays, a traditionally busy night at the Cove, Student Council President Phillip Gray Clark ’17 said. Opening the space on Wednesdays will be considered after this opening weekend.

”After talking with Kim and just walking into the Pub, this is not going to be the Cove,” Clark said. “Which is good for some reasons and bad for others.”

The Pub will remain open as a place for students and community members to study, hold meetings and hang out during the week.