New dean of students announced

Janet Lohmann will succeed Henry “Hank” Toutain H’16 as Dean of Students, the College announced on June 3. Toutain retired in the spring after seven years at Kenyon.

Lohmann previously served as Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Dean of First-Year Students at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. Bowdoin is one of Kenyon’s top ten application “overlap” schools.

Lohmann was selected by an eleven-member search committee, led by Professor of History Jeff Bowman and comprised of students Sam Clougher ’17, Winston Weinberg ’17, Kelsey Trulik ’18, Brandon Lee-Cruz ’19, and members of the faculty and staff. On May 19, the College hosted an open meeting with Lohmann; she was one of three candidates presented to the community. The process began in early March, according to Meredith Harper Bonham, vice president for student affairs. Bonham would not comment on the cost of the search, which was conducted by recruitment firm Isaacson Miller.

Clougher wrote in a text message to the Collegian that Lohmann was his favorite candidate “from day one.” He added that students, faculty and administrators played an equal role on the search committee, but declined to discuss the nature of the interview, citing instructions from the recruitment firm.

Lohmann attended Lehigh University and received a doctorate in sociology from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She was a tenured professor of sociology at Bowdoin before entering her role as an administrator. Lohmann is also on the board of the Corporation of Haverford College in Haverford, Pennsylvania, according to her resume, released by the College in a Student-Info email.

Lohmann has extensive experience presenting and studying issues of sexual assault, gender and race. Her dissertation was entitled, “The Social Construction of Rape on a College Campus.”

Lohmann will begin her position at Kenyon on August 1.