Seniors establish fund

A gazebo for the North Campus Apartments in 2014, a swing for the first-year quad last year —  these are traditionally the kinds of gifts Kenyon seniors give to the campus at the conclusion of their four years. The Class of 2016 is doing something  different.

Their gift is the Kenyon Alliance Fund. The goal of the fund is to support student organizations or faculty and staff members interested in working on educational service projects in the area, such Partnership of East Knox and Kenyon.

“The fund originally sprung from this idea of building a tradition or continuing a tradition at Kenyon,” Trevor Kirby ’16, president of the Senior Class Committee said.

Organizations that need financial assistance will use the fund’s money to purchase tools for their volunteering activities, including transportation and background checks.

The Office of Community Partnerships, directed by Jennifer Odenweller, will administer the Kenyon Alliance Fund and work with organizations interested in volunteering in Knox County.

In an email to the Collegian, Odenweller wrote that the fund will allow Kenyon students to work within Knox County and “give back in ways which also prepare them for further civic engagement in their future.”

Currently the senior class plans to donate $1,000 to start the fund.  Money raised by the senior class during their time at Kenyon Class funds class gifts.

According to Kirby, President Sean Decatur has pledged to donate $2,500 to the Kenyon Alliance Fund if 75 percent of seniors donate to the Kenyon Fund, which supports Kenyon’s operating budget. Decatur will donate another $2,500 if 90 percent of seniors give to the Kenyon Fund.

Organizations will be able to apply for money from the Kenyon Alliance Fund and groups receiving funds will be selected by a committee made up of the Director of Community Partnerships, the Director of Student Volunteering, a faculty member nominated by the Curricular Policy Committee, a student selected by Student Council and a dean from the Dean of Students Office.