College alerts campus after report of sexual assault

A person was allegedly sexually assaulted in Mather Residence Hall on Saturday night, according to a Kenyon College alert issued at a time when the College is grappling with how it handles issues of sexual misconduct.

A campuswide email with the subject line “sexual assault” said a “a female resident of Mather Hall was the victim of sexual misconduct in her residence hall room between 8-8:45 pm on Saturday, April 31, 2016.

“The suspect, whose identity is unknown, is described as 6 feet tall, with a thin build, blonde hair and wearing khaki pants, a navy v-neck shirt and New Balance sneakers.”

The alert came days after President Sean Decatur announced on Wednesday the College would have a firm conduct an audit of how Kenyon processes cases under Title IX, a section of the federal law banning sex discrimination in education. That followed a widely disseminated letter from an alumnus accusing the College of mishandling his sister’s rape case this academic year.

The alert says people “are advised to remain aware of your surroundings at all times, lock your residence hall room door, report any suspicious activity or individuals to Campus Safety immediately, and trust your instincts.”

Those who have information about the incident Saturday are urged to contact Campus Safety at 740-427-5555 or anonymously through the Rave Guardian app.