The future face of Kenyon’s campus

Kenyon is constructing three North Campus Apartment-style houses on the former site of the Gambier Grill behind Farr Hall. 

The College plans to move program houses such as Unity House, Hillel House and the Snowden Multicultural Center into these new residences.

“One of the goals is to bring those programs into a more central location on campus,” said Jill Engel-Hellman, director of housing and residential life and assistant dean of students. “We’ve talked with the students that are part of these programs and they’ve agreed that this would be a good move and in the best interest of these programs.”

Hannah Davidoff ’18 lives in the Hillel NCA this year as a co-manager. Though she does not think it necessary to separate the Hillel House from the rest of the NCAs, she believes the move could be positive, opening up an NCA for students who do not live in theme or program housing.

The new apartments will be built in accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, according to Engel-Hellman. This will provide the campus with “a new level of accessibility,” she said.

The apartments, along with several second-story apartments that will be located above new Village retail spaces, will house up to 52 students.

The College will be discussing the timeline and price of this projects during the board meetings this week, according to Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman. “Our goal is to kick off the Village restoration project this summer with ‘Phase One,’ which would include whatever we’re going to do in that area,” Kohlman said, referring to the area where the new apartments will be built.

The administration has yet to decide how the non-program housing spaces will be used, according to Engel-Hellman.