Student survives fall from Old K bullseye; College assesses safety

A student is recovering from injuries after falling from one of the Old Kenyon bullseye windows on Saturday night, an event the College is currently investigating as an accident.

Alexander Beatty ’19 was airlifted to The Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center after he fell from the fourth-floor window in the division housing of the Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) fraternity.

A family member said Beatty, who was discharged from the Wexner Medical Center Wednesday, met with a wrist specialist and is expected to return to his home in Baltimore soon.

“We certainly want to do a full understanding of the details of what happened,” said President Sean Decatur, who awoke around 11:15 p.m. Saturday to a phone call notifying him of the news.

“I was in touch with the staff as the response and support work was going on.”

A student called Campus Safety around 11 p.m. to report a student had fallen out of a window. Director of Campus Safety Bob Hooper cited the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) in declining to release the full report.

“I was at home getting ready for bed when I heard the sirens and I heard the helicopter, and then my phone rang, and I knew pretty quickly that something serious was going on,” Meredith Harper Bonham ’92, vice president for student affairs, said.

Shortly afterward, Dean of Students Hank Toutain called Bonham to share the news with her.

DKE president Emmet Yeazell ’17 said the fraternity was hosting a mixer with members of the Theta Delta Phi (Theta) sorority earlier in the evening but that most had left by the time the accident occurred.

Beatty was standing near the bullseye window when he broke through the screen, according to Yeazell. Beatty was conscious the entire time medical staff was attending to him, he added.

Bonham said the College is not currently considering making changes to its policies surrounding Greek life and residential areas.

“We’ve been so focused on the needs of the student who was injured, as well as his friends and those other students who were affected by the event,” she said.

Decatur added that, “Right now there are no plans to make any changes to division housing or any changes to the party policy, or any of those things.”

Despite Decatur’s claim that division will not be affected, the DKEs nonetheless are looking to change their use of the space.

“We’re probably not going to be throwing too many more events in the Bullseye for the rest of this semester,” Yeazell said.

On Sunday morning Yeazell contacted the president of the DKE national fraternity, who offered to come to Gambier. Yeazell told him a visit would not be necessary, but that he would continue to provide him with updates on Beatty’s condition.

“A lot of brothers have been able to get to Columbus to see him,” Yeazell said.

“I think people are seeing it as what it was, and what it was was a horrible accident,” he added. “But we were very lucky.”

Bonham said Safety officers were the first to provide emergency care on the scene, and also contacted the College Township Fire Department.

Beatty was first transported to Knox Community Hospital before being taken to OSU by helicopter. Upon arrival, Safety shut down the Archon all-campus party taking place on South Quad.

Alex Pijanowski and Emily Sakamoto contributed reporting.