Master Plan changes take shape

Today and tomorrow, members of Kenyon’s Board of Trustees will hold their annual spring meeting to discuss the operations and future of the College. The Master Plan, according to President Sean Decatur, will be a main focus at the meeting.

The following articles detail the latest on the steps Kenyon is taking to institute the Master Plan.

Board chairman Brackett B. Denniston III ’69 did not immediately respond to multiple calls and emails seeking comment.

Farr Hall

Farr Hall, including the Village Market and student apartments, is slated for demolition during summer 2017. Kenyon’s plans for downtown Gambier will be discussed at this week’s Board of Trustees meeting, according to Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman and President Sean Decatur.

With a projected price tag of $18 million, projects in the Village renovation will include the demolition and replacement of Farr, a new Village Market in place of the Black Box Theater and several new North Campus Apartment-style residences on the former sites of the Gambier Grill and the old Student Activities Office building.

Decatur said the College has already raised $12 million for the project.

Jeanne Poland, co-owner of the Gambier Deli, said at first she was not sure what the deli’s fate would be. She has been in contact with the College about what a new space might entail.

More than anything, Poland fears the interim year when she will most likely not be able to conduct business.

“I never felt like the College treated us unfairly,” Poland said. “But the logistics are my worst nightmare.”

Although she’s anxious about the time it will take to build the new building, Poland is confident business will pick up quickly. “I don’t think Gambier will forget us,” she said.

Farr’s destruction affects more than just the Village Market and the deli: WKCO, the College’s student-run radio station, has made its home in the basement of Farr Hall for over 40 years, and Farr’s demolition means the destruction of the WKCO studios.

WKCO’s co-general manager,Teddy Farkas ’16 wrote in a text message to the Collegian that he and other members of the executive staff are attempting to secure a permanent future home for the station.

According to incoming co-general manager Julia Waldow ’17, also the Collegian’s art director, the College has indicated it may move the broadcast booth to an undetermined location in Peirce Hall, but that these plans remain up in the air.

Farkas also said WKCO staff were not involved in these relocation discussions. “We have tried with little success over the past year to get in contact with proper administrators about organizing a space for the future when it first occurred to us that we may have to move,” Farkas said.

No definite plans for a permanent WKCO space have been released.

Next year’s general managers, Waldow and Adam Brill ’17, and next year’s studio manager, Seth Reichert ’17, will meet with Kohlman on May 6 to discuss the studio’s future location and components.