Phi Kaps move division to NCAs

Greek division housing on South Quad will lose one fraternity next year when Phi Kappa Sigma’s (Phi Kaps) division housing moves to an eight-person North Campus Apartment (NCA). This is the first time in Kenyon’s history that Greek division housing will have existed on north campus.

The Phi Kaps have historically occupied rooms in Hanna Residence Hall, but their move to the NCAs will be permanent, according to Lisa Train, associate director of housing and residential life. The Phi Kaps will keep the same NCA year to year.

Apartment housing is usually priced at a higher rate but Alex Harrover ’17, a brother of Phi Kappa Sigma, said the Phi Kaps are working with the College to modify the cost the fraternity’s brothers will pay.

In addition to their rooms, the Phi Kaps have traditionally been associated with a lounge on the top floor of Hanna, though Harrover said the fraternity does not control the lounge, and that it is open for reservation and use by any campus organization. There are several paintings of Phi Kap crests in the lounge; Harrover hopes these will be preserved for historical purposes.

“Admittedly this is a bold decision,” Harrover said, “but a majority of members agree that this move will help address the long-term sustainability of our fraternity as a significant social presence on this campus.”

The departure of the Phi Kaps from Hanna opens up those rooms to non-Greek-affiliated students, or independents, wishing to live on south quad, Train said. Though the two newest Greek organizations, Alpha Sigma Tau and Phi Kappa Tau, may soon apply for division housing, Train said ResLife may keep the former Phi Kap division independent to open up the historically Greek-dominated south quad housing to independent students.

“I can’t keep putting [Greeks] down south quad because we’re taking up all the space, so we’re looking elsewhere where we can put them,” Train said. “It actually really helped us with the Phi Kaps moving up and that may be something that may be offered to other groups in the future if they so choose.”