Hughes to replace Goldblum as Title IX head

After working as Kenyon’s civil rights and Title IX coordinator for just a year, Andrea Goldblum will be leaving the College this spring. Sam Hughes, director of the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, will take her place.

The College announced the transition in employee and student-info emails on March 25.

Goldblum was quoted in the email as saying her career had been spent at larger institutions and that she wanted to continue her career at a larger school. In a separate email to the Collegian, Goldblum wrote she had previously worked at schools such as The Ohio State University, University of Michigan and Georgia Tech, among others. “I very much miss those environments and what they have to offer, personally and professionally,” Goldblum wrote.

Hughes said she was surprised when she was tapped for the job but  later realized it made sense, given she had worked previously with Linda Smolak when Smolak served as the interim Title IX coordinator. Smolak and Hughes worked to standardize the Title IX process for the College.

“The College had a lot invested in me,” Hughes said, citing the training she has completed. Prior to the College’s “One Policy One Process” Title IX policy, Hughes handled all student complaints through the conduct review process, which she continues to run.

“Understanding an institutional culture is a really critical component of  being an effective Title IX coordinator,” Meredith Harper Bonham ’92, vice president of student affairs, said.  “She’s been part of the Title IX team, so she’s worked closely with Andrea Goldblum as well as Linda Smolak, especially with respect to education and prevention efforts.”

Hughes plans to continue and bolster the College’s Title IX training; for example, incoming first-year students will be required to complete online Title IX training. The new course will replace the online alcohol training program first years have previously been required to complete and will also include a learning component dealing with bystander intervention.

Hughes’s primary goal in her new role will be to ensure students feel comfortable reporting Title IX incidents, especially men, who Hughes said often feel less comfortable seeking support.   

She does not anticipate changing the College’s Title IX process significantly, as the College spent a long time developing it. “We need to live with that a little bit,” Hughes said, though she will be seeking feedback from students who participated in any part of the process.

Hughes will assume her new position by June 1. The College has not filled the position Hughes is vacating yet, but Hughes said it will be filled before  the next academic year.