College gives ‘thumbs up’ to class of 2020

The last Thumbs Up envelopes of the year have been mailed. On March 18, Admissions released its final round of decisions online to regular decision applicants to the class of 2020.

As of Wednesday, 240 early decision applicants and 22 regular decision applicants had enrolled at Kenyon. Overall, Kenyon offered admission to 1,688 students out of approximately 6,400 total applicants, according to a March 21 College press release. The College received applications from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, three U.S. territories and 108 countries.

The overall number of applicants has decreased from last year, when Kenyon received a record-high 7,076 applications.

Last year, 498 of 1,704 accepted students chose to enroll at Kenyon, for a 29.22 percent yield.

The College hopes to enroll about 475 students in the class of 2020, according to Diane Anci, dean of admissions and vice president of enrollment management, who is in her first year at Kenyon.

“I found myself consistently, totally impressed by both the quality of the candidates [and] of their applications,” Anci said.

Anci described this year’s applicant pool as similar to last year’s pool, but with a two-percent increase in applications from domestic students of color and international students.

Out of 6,400 applicants, 378 applied early decision and 6,022 applied regular decision.

Most of the offers were sent to students from California, Ohio and New York

One committed early decision applicant for the Class of 2020, Gwyneth Phillips of Wheaton, Ill., said she fell in love with Kenyon’s campus at first sight.

She was also impressed with the friendliness of a physics professor she met while touring campus and the strength of the literary tradition at Kenyon. 

“It feels like a gathering place,” Phillips said in a phone interview. “It seemed like a good place to create things.”

Phillips plans to double-major in physics and English with a concentration in creative writing, while playing on the soccer team and becoming involved in literary life on campus.

Another committed student, Ronan Weber of Camp Hill, Pa., plans to take a different path, studying psychology and sociology on a pre-med track.

Ronan also plans to become involved in theater and Unity House, writing in an email that the Kenyon community’s immediate acceptance of his gender identity and pronouns helped him feel at home here. 

In a post on its website, Kenyon shared a profile of the Class of 2020 describing the accomplishments of admitted students, who include a scientist conducting graduate-level scientific research, a political lobbyist advocating for needy families and a filmmaker who presented work at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

Anci stressed the importance of welcoming committed students during the two Thumbs Up visit weekends on April 10 and 11 and April 17 and 18.

“It does take a village to enroll a class,” Anci said.