Greek organizations record spike in rush interest

Forty more students rushed fraternities and sororities than did last year, according to Greta Greising ’16, Greek Council president.

Last year about 214 students registered during rush week, Greising said. This year, 254 students registered.

Greek life at Kenyon saw a large turnout of first-year and sophomore students.

Instead of holding the informational assembly this year in Peirce’s Great Hall, like it has in years past, Greek Council held the event in the auditorium at Rosse Hall to accommodate the number of Greek organizations and the anticipated size of the student population attending the meeting, both of which the council had trouble dealing with when the event was in Peirce, according to Greising.

Greising also said there was an especially large turnout of female students this year, making the distribution between male and female students involved in rush week slightly more even than it has been in years past.

“I think there were maybe 60 more freshman girls rushing than we’ve seen in past years,” Caitelin McCoy ’17, social chair for Epsilon Delta Mu (EDM), said.

“This current freshman class [of girls] had an enthusiasm for rushing.”

Arthur Lian ’19, who participated in rush week, said the events were a great way to familiarize himself with the Greek organizations on campus. 

“It’s a good experience as a first year,” Lian said.

“I’m trying to get the whole college experience … and even if Greek life isn’t for me, I’m happy I did it.”

Last night, in keeping with Greek tradition at Kenyon, Greek organizations and societies on campus delivered bids to potential members between 5 p.m. and midnight.