Phi Kaps exploring ways to reduce costs

The status of the fraternity Phi Kappa Sigma (Phi Kaps) remains up in the air while the group continues to explore the possibility of severing ties with the national fraternity.

In September the Phi Kaps were considering quitting their national fraternity because of the high cost of dues and the chapter’s relationship with the national organization.

At that time, the fraternity’s Greek Council representatives attempted to secure passage of an amendment to the Council’s constitution, formalizing the pathway for organizations considering disaffiliation.

Ken Crimmins ’17, president of Phi Kaps, said the group has yet to vote on the matter.

Crimmins explained the possibility of disaffiliating, the official term for parting ways with their national organization, is part of a larger initiative to explore how membership in the group can be financially feasible for more students.

“We’re trying to find ways to make it more accessible to be a Phi Kap at Kenyon,” Crimmins said. “One of the avenues that we have looked at is the possibility of becoming a local fraternity.”

Laura Kane, director of student activities and Greek Life, said she did not wish to comment on the details of an ongoing decision-making process. Kane did confirm that consideration of the issue has been ongoing since news that the fraternity might disaffiliate was made public in September, and that she has discussed the decision with the group’s leadership.

Both Kane and Crimmins said there was no timetable for a concrete decision.