College aims to make Mount Vernon shuttle run daily

Daily shuttles to Mount Vernon may soon become a reality.

The College is exploring ways to provide more frequent transportation to the city, on the heels of its acquisition in February of the Buckeye Candy & Tobacco building in downtown Mount Vernon.

“We’ve been talking for a while about more access to Mount Vernon in general, so now, with the Buckeye Candy building, how do we provide access to that space and to the broader perspective of Mount Vernon?” Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman said.

Knox Area Transit (KAT) runs a shuttle between the bookstore and Mount Vernon every Wednesday and Friday from 4-10 p.m. and Saturdays from 1-10 p.m. It is free for Kenyon students. The College’s plan would have KAT providing an hourly shuttle every day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

“I would definitely utilize it,” Claire Livingston ’18 said. “I often find myself wanting to take the shuttle in earlier in the week.”

Kohlman said he was unsure what the source of the funding for the project would be. He said KAT agreed to return his plan, with proposed revisions, by the end of November.

The proposed bus route would include stops in downtown Mount Vernon and along Coshocton Avenue.

“The goal would be that it would be at no cost to the student,” Kohlman said.

At the Village Council meeting on Monday, Council members Betsy Heer and Liz Forman said the plan would also make Mount Vernon more accessible to Village residents and students without cars,

“It would be helpful if the shuttle ran on breaks for people who are here for Thanksgiving,” Ngoc Le ’16.

At the meeting, Kohlman expressed a desire to subsidize the shuttle for people who are not students. Rides for non-students now cost $2 in either direction.

“Right now, students don’t pay, because it’s subsidized by the College,” Kohlman said. “The more we figure out how to subsidize the route, either through the College or with support from the Village, the less people outside of that subsidy range have to pay and the more feasible that route becomes for the long run.”

Kristen Huffman contributed reporting.