Marianne Cunningham, beloved Village Market employee, dies

Photo courtesy of Tim Newton

Marianne Cunningham, a longtime employee of the Village Market and honorary mother of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, died Monday at Hospice of North Central Ohio in Ashland. She was 66.   

“Marianne is absolutely irreplaceable,” Village Market Manager Tim Newton said. “She’ll just be missed so much by myself and many people in the Gambier area.”

Besides her longtime presence at the Market — Newton estimated Cunningham had worked at the market more than 20 years — she was close to the Kenyon football team and Beta Theta Pi fraternity, which significantly overlap in their membership.

Alec McQuiston ’16, a member of the football team and a Beta, said the Betas would serenade Cunningham on Valentine’s Day, part of a fraternity tradition. “She was there for years and years and always supported the Betas,” McQuiston said. Cunningham will be honored with a commemorative plaque at the Beta Temple.

“We’re definitely going to teach our younger pledge classes, and our new incoming actives all about her, because she was our Beta sweetheart,”  McQuiston said.

Jill Shriver, administrative assistant for the Philander Chase Corporation and the Kenyon Institute, called Cunningham “full of energy and life.”

“I think she adored everyone and made everyone feel like they were welcome, no matter when they stopped at the market,” Shriver said.

Maya Kaufman contributed reporting.